This week we got news from McSweeney’s and their distributor Publishers Group West that Lucky Peach No. 2 went out to the presses and will be shipping at the end of October beinning of November. We are incredibly excited about the second issue of incredible food magazine edited by David Chang. Issue No. 1 (still available!) focused on ramen, with tons of recipes, photographs, drawings, and essays. Here is what McSweeney’s has to say about issue No. 2:
Lucky Peach is a new journal of food writing, published on a quarterly basis by McSweeney’s. It is a mélange of travelogue, essays, art, photography, rants, and recipes in a full-color, meticulously designed format. Our aim is to produce a publication that appeals to diehard foodies as well as fans of good writing and art in general.
Each issue focuses on a theme. Issue 2 will focus on the Sweet Spot—that brief period of time when meat, fruit, chefs, athletes, and kimchi are at their peak. It’ll wrestle with notions of ripeness and perception, and cover everything from the greatest apricots in the world, to the merits of the Patrick Swayze classic Road House.
Contributors will include:
- Dave Chang and Peter Meehan eating their way through a three-Michelin-star kaiseki dinner and following it up with Kentucky bean soup.
- Adam Gollner hunting down childhood memories through glabrous stone fruit.
- Harold McGee on the science of dry aging.
- Christina Tosi on how to make Arnold Palmer cake, ham and cheese sandwiches with corn cookies, and other sweet treats.
- Daniel Patterson on keeping your eyes open.